- Perception is influenced by experience and understanding.
- Spectacle means one thing to someone and another to someone else.
- Media is full of spectacle from the personal through to the shared.
- Personal & Shared experience (have you ever made a spectacle of yourself? What was the situation? Do you and did you believe them?) (E.g. jedi boy).
- You can turn something into a spectacle, e.g. something off the Internet etc.
- Are we part of a wider spectacle as an active participant? E.g. football match or a concert.
- Is spectacle media created? E.g. Diana’s death and marriage. Was the whole nation moved by it? Because it was made into a spectacle it seemed so.
- A recent contemporary spectacle = riots. Not as big a spectacle than previously thought.
- Gatherings of many people are often linked to spectacle
- Can you do anything to stop or alter some spectacle? 9/11 & tsunami
- It’s easy to capture a spectacle these days, camera’s are here now!
- Manipulation becomes brilliant spectacle.
- Cinema is a brilliant creator of spectacle, more ways than one. (Historical, War, Sci-Fi, Religion and Fantasy in particular).
- Art has always made use of spectacle before cinema, paintings were the spectacle. (John Martin)
- Google earth in biblical times
- AES+F Collective – re-interpret classical/historical events
- Leni Reifenstein